If you’ve ever ran Windows XP, you probably have run into the Windows XP update forever bug. This is when you see the update cycle for hours on end as pictured below.
First things first, go to
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and look at the last date and time of the most recent file. If it’s fairly recent, you may just have to be patient. If your machine sucks, this could take days.
However, if you’re sure you are actually stuck or if you wish to monitor the whole update process, you can try the following:
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on Administrative Tools
- Go to Services
- Right click on Automatic Updates
- Click on Properties
- Under Startup type, select Disabled
- Reboot your computer
- Rename, move, or delete the folder
- Redo steps 1-5 and select Automatic for Startup type
- Retry Windows/Microsoft Update or open Internet Explorer and go to update.microsoft.com
- It looks like more of the same but wait a bit and the updates should pull through
Otherwise, if this doesn’t work (which it should), you can check out Microsoft’s support page on making sure the Windows Update Agent is at the latest version.
If you have another fix for the Windows XP update forever bug, let me know.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
I help enthusiasts, entrepreneurs, VIPs, and small business owners with cybersecurity, website strategy, and online business. Davis Tech Media is a collection of IT, cybersecurity, and online business best practices and experiences. Stick around, you might learn something. 🙂